KDSS swim team wraps up epic season with top-20 finishes at OFSAA
March 2, 2023
The KDSS Knights swim team stormed the Windsor International Aquatic Centre, taking multiple top-20 finishes at the OFSAA provincial swimming championships, Tuesday and Wednesday.
This event is the largest swim meet in Canada, featuring 300 teams, 2,234 athletes, and 2,482 swims.
Organizers have found only one other meet in the world that is larger than OFSAA swimming, and that is the annual Southwest Ohio Swimming Officials Association High School Invitational in Cincinnati. This year, that meet will take place over two days, with 2,450 swimmers and 156 teams.
The Knights competed in two full days of racing and achieved the following results:
- Junior Boys 50 m Freestyle - Alex White - 30th
- Senior Girls 50 m Freestyle - Lilly Egberts – 44th, and a Personal Best (PB)
- Junior Boys 50 m Backstroke - Alex White - tied for 31st
- Junior Girls 50 m Backstroke - Brenna Hegmans – a blistering PB and a spot in the afternoon finals; in the finals, she shot off the blocks with her fastest start of the day and finished 18th overall in the province
- Junior Girls 50 m Breastroke - Brenna Hegmans - 36th and another PB
- Junior Girls 100 m Breastroke - Natalie Newton - 37th and a PB
- Senior Girls Medley relay team: Brenna Hegmans, Natalie Newton, Lilly Egberts and Karina Baumann - 29th
- Aaron Urie started the day with the impressive feat of a Senior Boys 100 m PB and a shot at the finals. Not once, but twice, he achieved a PB to finish 18th overall in the province!
- Senior boys 50 m Butterfly - Aaron Urie - 33rd overall
Finally, the Senior Boys Medley relay team of Aaron Urie, Chase Anderson, Alex White and Chris McLarty approached the blocks. It took their fastest time of the season to crack the top 20 and secure a spot in the finals, and they pulled it off with sheer determination. And their season wrapped with a 20th overall in the province!
It was an epic season for the swim team and the Knights finished with power and finesse. Go Knights, Go!
Competing in Day 2 of the OFSAA swimming finals, are KDSS Knights Chris McLarty (left), Chase Anderson, Alex White, Aaron Urie and Lilly Egberts, with coaches Michelle McIver and Brent Urie
Competing in Day 1 of the OFSAA swimming finals, are Alex White (left), Brenna Hegmans, Karina Baumann, Natalie Newton and Lilly Egberts, with coach Michelle McIver; photos courtesy of Michelle McIver
Comment on this story? Click here.
No related stories.